In this guide, you will learn all the things to talk about with friends.
You will get 99 good questions to ask your friends and 29 exciting topics to talk about.
Last but not least, you will learn how to keep a conversation going with your friends.
99 Good questions & Things To Talk About With Friends
Here is a huge list of things you can talk about with your friends all day long. Never run out of things to talk about again.
- What would be your perfect day look like?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What is your goal for this year?
- What is your best childhood memory?
- If you have 1 million now, what would you buy?
- What is your best moment in life?
- What is the scariest nightmare that you had?
- Out of all your family members, who is your favorite person?
- What do you like to do when you are alone?
- If you can live in any place you want, where would you choose?
- What is your favorite book of all time?
- If you are going to get a tattoo, what word or pattern would you choose?
- How many kids do you want to have in the future?
- If you can have a pet, would you choose a dog or a cat?
- If you were President, what will you change in our country?
- Who is your favorite singer or band?
- What foreign language would you like to learn? Why?
- If you can change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- Are you into any sports?
- How do you like to spend your leisure time?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Do you have any phobias?
- What would be your dream job?
- If you were a superhero, what kind of power would you like to have?
- What kind of movie genre do you like? What is your favorite one in the genre?
- What is your favorite color? (Then continue about color personality)
- How do you deal with stress?
- If you could time travel, would you go to the past or the future?
- What is your favorite quote?
- What is your favorite cuisine?
- Which part of your body are you proud of?
- What kind of strengths would you like to have?
- What kind of person would you wish to become?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- What is your passion?
- What kind of secret talent you have, which I didn’t know yet?
- What kind of music do you like to listen to?
- What dramas are you watching now?
- Are you into video games or anime?
- What kind of life do you wish to have 5 years from now?
- How you spend your weekend usually?
- If you were to live on an isolated island, what would you bring with you? You can only choose 3 items.
- If you have a VIP ticket to go anywhere you want, where would you go?
- Which counties are on top of your travel list?
- Do you prefer to travel alone, or with friends or family?
- What kind of vacation is your favorite one? Sitting on the beach and relax, or shopping all day long?
- Where is your hometown?
- What is the happiest memory you have in school?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- What kind of habit do you wish to have?
- What fear would you like to overcome?
- What was your favorite subject or activity in school?
- If you could turn into any animal, what would you be?
- What do you think is the meaning of life?
- How do you define happiness?
- What is the greatest challenge in life you have overcome?
- When do you feel most alone?
- What’s something about you that no one knows?
- What’s your Myers-Briggs personality type is?
- What is the one that that you regret?
- What are your favorite indoor or outdoor games?
- What is the most adventurous moment in your life?
- How do you define true love?
- How did you meet your first love?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- When did you have your first kiss?
- How was your first date looks like?
- What is your biggest goal and aspiration in life?
- What is your most unique traveling experience?
- Can you accept a foreign boyfriend or girlfriend?
- What kind of qualities would you like to see in your ideal partner?
- If you can only live for the next 48 hours, what would you do?
- What kind of house would you like to live in?
- What makes you happy?
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
- Do you ever keep a journal?
- What do you look for in a relationship?
- What life-changing event have you experienced before?
- What do you think is humankind’s greatest invention?
- Which part of your body do you find attractive?
- At what age do you think people should settle down and have their own family?
- What is your source for happiness?
- Would you relocate to a place where you don’t know anyone there?
- What is your philosophy for life?
- How do you motivate yourself when you are feeling down?
- Do you like who you are right now?
- What are the top three things you are grateful for this week?
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
- Who is your favorite author?
- Have you ever had a nickname?
- Are you a spontaneous person, or are you more towards a planner?
- If you can change one thing in the past, what would you change?
- Would you rather be smart but ugly or dumb but good-looking?
- What is the sweetest compliment you ever get?
- If you can master one skill completely, what would you choose?
- What kind of date would you consider romantic?
- What would cause you to end a relationship?
- If you die today, is there something you would regret not doing?
- Name three qualities you want your friends to have.
Exciting Topics to talk about with your friends
You can start with the simple one. For example, are you an introvert or an extrovert? Why do you think so?
Then, you can expand the conversation and ask how she deals with people in a new environment?
You can also ask her what her strengths and weaknesses are. Girls like to explore this topic. It makes them excited.
If you are running out of things to say, you can ask her what her zodiac sign is. Then, you can google and go through the unique characteristics of her zodiac sign together. Ask her if the characteristics mentioned are true or false.
Topic#2: Latest News or Trend
Well, at this point of writing, I can quickly start a conversation topic about covid-19 and movement control with anyone I meet.
As long as you pay attention to the news and get updated about the big news, you will create a good conversation around it.
To make the conversation more entertaining, you can also talk about the trend that is going on in life right now. For example, at my teenage age, the male idols are masculine and manly. But nowadays, they look so feminine.
Talk about the changes you see in real life and see if your friends think the same too.
Topic#3: Surrounding Environment
You can easily make use of the environment to start a conversation. For example, if you are in a cafe, you can ask your friend is there any new cafe she would like to explore together next time.
You can also ask her if she is a coffee person or a tea person. Then, you can expand the conversation by asking what kind of coffee or tea is her favorite and why.
If you are in the library or a book store, you can ask her what type of books she likes to read.
Observe your surroundings and use the objects or events around you as the conversation starters.
Topic#4: Work/ Career
You can ask her if she enjoys her work. How are her coworkers?
What is the most challenging part of her job?
What is the funniest thing that has ever happened to her while working?
Ask her where she had been on vacation. Then, ask her if she would revisit the place and why.
You can also ask her where she would travel next and what attracted her. Ask her what her favorite place or the most beautiful place she has visited is.
Traveling is a good topic. It’s easy to start and carry even for a long conversation.
Topic#6: Passion/ Hobbies
The conversation will never get dry if you talk about passion or hobbies.
She will get excited to share more about her passion with you. You just have to be a good listener and ask good questions to lead her to talk more.
For example, you can ask her how she gets started, the challenges when she gets started, and how she gets to where she is today.
Everyone has their own favorite songs and singer. She will be glad to share with you because the music they listened to tells you not only her taste but also her personality.
You also ask what her favorite song is and why.
Like music, different people have their own favorite genre for movies.
You can ask what kind of movies she is into. And, you can also ask if she watches horror movies. If yes, you can invite her to watch it together over the weekend.
Ask her to recommend you a few good movies and discuss the latest movies you have watched recently.
Most people are interested in self-improvement books. So, you can start from here by asking is there any book that has changed your life?
Ask your friend to share more on how it changes her life and her perspective on different things.
If both of you happen to love a specific genre, you can discuss the books in the genre with her. She will be excited to share a few good recommendations with you.
I love to ask if she reads manga because I’m into it too. If she says yes, then I can guarantee we can have a long and fun conversation together. We can talk for 3 hours straight just about manga. For example, what is your top 10 manga, and why do you like it.
Topic#10: Food / Desserts
Girls have very low resistance levels against food. If you do not know what to talk about with a girl, I suggest you go after this topic.
Ask her does she has any cravings lately and why? Then, both of you can take turns to ask questions.
For example, share what your favorite food is. Do you prefer spicy, salty, sweet, or sour food? Is there any food you saw on blogs or social media that you really want to try? Are you into a food trip?
Topic#11: TV Shows
People love entertainment. So, talking about TV shows is a good option.
Share some of the funny or interesting TV shows you have watched before or are watching lately. Then, ask her if she has watched it too.
Next, you can ask her if she is into any TV shows. If you have never heard of the TV shows before, you can ask her to share what it is about and why she loves it.
Topic#12: Restaurants/ Cafe/ Fun Places In Town
Do you know any good restaurants or cafes in town? If yes, then you can share it with her.
Ask her what kind of restaurant or cafe she likes and why.
After you learn her preference, you can invite her to grab a brunch together.
Ask her if she has any pets before. What’s their name? How she gets her first pet?
If she can have any pet she wants, which will she choose and why?
It’s an entertainment topic, so you do not have to be too serious about it.
You can talk about random things like which celebrities would you like to be your girlfriend or boyfriend. Why?
Who are you following on social media? Why?
Topic#15: Learning/ Studies
If you are learning something interesting such as guitar, piano, or body language, you can share about it with your friend.
Suppose you are learning something which can sound a bit too boring, like programming. In that case, you should only share the most exciting part of the process and what gets you excited about it.
Once you have shared your part, remember to ask her what she is learning lately. Ask her what gets her started and what are challenges she faces during the learning process.
Suppose the other person is a gamer, and you are into gaming too. In that case, basically, you can have an endless conversation about gaming.
You can explore what kind of game genre she likes and then ask her what her favorite game in the genre is. Then, you can talk about the upcoming game that has created a buzz in the gaming community.
Ask her if she plays horror games too. If yes, you can invite her to play some horror games together.
Anime topic is similar to a manga topic. Basically, you can ask what her favorite anime is and why.
You can explore what her top 5 anime of all time is, and she will be excited to share it with you because those are all her favorites.
Don’t worry if she is not into anime. You can switch the topic by asking her how she likes to spend her free time. Then, expand the conversation from there.
Topic#18: Tech/ Gadgets / Phones
You can ask her why she chose her phone and what she likes about her phone.
If she is using iPhone, you can ask her is she an Apple fan. On the other hand, if she is not using iPhone, you can ask her opinion about iPhone. Does she think it’s overrated, overprice, or she actually loves it?
You discuss other gadgets like portable game consoles and music players. See what she is into and then expand the conversation from there.
You can discuss family with her. How many siblings she has and who is closest to her.
On the other hand, you can ask about her family culture. Does her family has strict house rules, or she has the freedom to do anything she wants. You can also ask what she likes and don’t like about her family.
Some people think this is a sensitive topic while others don’t mind at all. If you can sense that she is avoiding the topic, you should probably switch to another topic.
You can learn more about her by asking what her goal is for this year or what she wants to achieve in the next 3 years. Ask her what inspires her to have such a big goal.
You can also ask her how she is going to achieve that goal. If you learned that she has put in a lot of effort to try to achieve her goal, you could give her a sincere compliment.
You can share about your goals too and allow her to learn more about you.
Ask her if she has any plans for the upcoming holidays?
You can also ask her how her family usually celebrates holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, etc. Does her family go on holidays trip very often? What was the most memorable holiday trip she ever has?
Topic#22: Sports/ Exercise
You can start by asking if she is into any indoor or outdoor sports. If yes, you can ask her how often she plays it and with whom she plays the sports.
You can also ask her how long she has been playing it and what gets her started. Which part of the sports she enjoys the most, and which part she likes to see improvement in herself.
Most people know are into some kind of sports or exercise. Badminton, yoga, and workout are popular in my social circle. What about you?
This is simple. Just ask her what she is planning to do this week or what she has been busy working on currently.
It’s more like getting updated from her and learn what’s fun and exciting she is doing now. Then, you can share your own project on hand or what you have been working on lately with her.
For example, if you are learning guitar, you can share it with her. I have learning habits, so I like to share what I have learned from books, courses, or webinars lately.
You can talk about the most memorable childhood memory or the funny things during your elementary school time. Learn what life events have made her who she is today.
Alternatively, you can also ask her if she can change one thing from the past, what would she change. Ask her about her changes and what triggers the change in her.
You can explore more about her inner world by talking about the past.
You can ask her what kind of lifestyle she wants to have in the future.
How many kids does she want? Where would she choose to live? What would she want to achieve in 10 years?
You can ask her what bad habits she wants to change. Also, you can ask her what habits made her different from her siblings or friends.
Remember to share your habits too, and make fun of yourself. This will keep the conversation interesting.
Ask her what kind of habits she wants to have and does she has any plan to realize them.
Most people join some kind of group activity or community either related to their passion or religion. For example, there are communities related to photography, hiking, public speaking, and charity.
If she happens to join any community, you can ask her why she joins it and how long she has been a community member.
If you are interested in learning more about the community, perhaps you join your friend in the community next time.
This is an exciting topic to talk about. You can ask her what is her ideal soulmate looks like. You can talk a lot about this.
Alternatively, you can ask her what the most crucial thing in a relationship. Ask her if inner qualities are more important than the look or the other way round.
You can start by asking her what the small things in life that make her happy are.
Then, you can ask when was the happiest moment she has in life.
If you want to go deeper, you can ask your friend to define happiness. Do not forget to share with her what do you think about happiness too. This will help her to know you better.
5 Killer Conversation Starters To Talk To Friends
Here are my 5 best conversation starters that you can use in all kinds of situations.
Conversation Starter#1: What’s your plan for this weekend?
Most people do not have any plan for the weekend. So, you can suggest a good place to hang out together.
In the event, if she already has a plan, you can ask for more details about her plan.
For example, suppose she said she will go hiking with her family. In that case, you can ask her where she would go hiking, how frequently does she go hiking with her family, and why she loves hiking, etc.
Conversation Starter#2: What’s your zodiac sign?
The most exciting part about the zodiac sign is that it reveals a person’s unique characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses.
Everyone loves to know their own unique traits and strengths. So, this is an easy topic for a long conversation with friends.
If you are not that good about the zodiac sign, you can google it in front of her and ask her if the mentioned characteristics match her.
You can playfully look at which zodiac sign matches with her too. If your zodiac sign is on the matching list, you can tease her by telling her that you please don’t fall in love with you. It’s fun to tease her.
Conversation Starter#3: Are you into books or movies?
Most people would be into both of these. So, you will 99% get a yes as an answer.
Then, you can further expand into what kind of books and movies genre does she likes. What are the top 3 books in that genre? Would she recommend it to you?
If she happens to have collected some books, you can ask to view her collection. Most people would be proud to show you their collection.
Conversation Starter#4: Do you like traveling? Have you been to any exciting places?
Traveling stories is interesting because it contains all the surprise elements, making it fun to talk about.
Ask her where she has been too, and would she revisit that place again, and why. Then, you can ask her which places are on top of her traveling list now and why. Both of you can share some of the most bizarre or funniest things during the journey.
Lastly, you can ask her if she prefers to travel alone, with friends or with family. You can share the places you want to go to. If she is interested, she might suggest going with you.
Conversation Starter#5: What is your passion or hobby?
Most people have things that they are passionate about. You just need to ask them about it, and then you can play the role of a good listener.
They will be more than happy to share everything they know about the topic with you.
You can ask her how did she get started too. This will allow you to uncover more information about her.
How To Keep A Conversation Going With Your Friend?
A lot of people are nervous, not knowing how to continue a conversation with a friend. However, it is not that hard if you can remain curious about the other person.
Instead of focusing on what to say next, you can just be genuinely interested in the other person and encourage her to share more about herself with you.
Pay close attention to what your friend said, and then ask questions related to feelings and emotions.
Suppose you can connect with her at emotional levels. In that case, you will feel that the relationship is getting stronger at the end of the conversation.
For example, if she said she loves to read, instead of just asking what kind of books she likes to read, you can ask her why she loves to read and what she feels about reading.
For example, here’s what you can say: “For me, I love reading because it allows me to escape from reality for a while, and I get to see myself become a little bit more knowledgeable than before. It makes me feel content and relaxed. What about you?”
The Bottom Line Of Talking to Friends
A good conversation is not really about how much you say and how long the conversation is.
It is all about how well you can get connected to the other person.
As mentioned above, just remain curious about the other person and ask questions about emotions and feelings. You will be able to bond with your friends quickly.