In a world where gender norms are evolving and relationships are becoming more egalitarian, it’s no surprise that women are increasingly taking the initiative when making the first move.
If you find yourself interested in a guy but need help with how to approach him, fear not!
We have compiled a list of the 13 best ways to make the first move on a guy, ensuring you feel confident and empowered in your pursuit of romance.
13 Best Ways to Make the First Move on a Guy
By implementing these 13 strategies, you can make the first move on a guy with sincerity, confidence, and a genuine desire to establish a deeper connection. However, it’s crucial to respect his boundaries and responses throughout the process. Each person is unique, so adjust your approach accordingly and ensure that your actions align with mutual comfort and consent.
1. Smile and make eye contact:
When you spot the guy you’re interested in, catch his attention by smiling genuinely. A warm smile can be inviting and instantly make you more approachable. Combine it with direct eye contact to show your confidence and interest. For example, if you’re at a social event and you lock eyes with him, offer a friendly smile and maintain eye contact for a brief moment. This subtle gesture can pique his curiosity and encourage him to approach you.
2. Strike up a conversation:
Initiating a conversation is a great way to establish a connection. Look for common ground or shared interests to create a meaningful dialogue. For instance, if you both attend the same fitness class, you could say something like, “I noticed you’re always so dedicated in our yoga class. Do you have any tips for improving flexibility?” By starting a conversation based on a shared activity, you create an immediate connection and provide an opportunity for further interaction.
3. Use body language:
Non-verbal cues can communicate your interest and create a comfortable atmosphere. Leaning in slightly when he speaks signals that you’re actively engaged and interested in what he has to say. Maintaining an open posture, with your arms relaxed and not crossed, shows that you’re receptive and approachable. Additionally, mirroring his body language subtly suggests that you have a connection. For example, if he leans back, you can do the same after a few moments. This mirroring technique can create a subconscious sense of familiarity and rapport.
4. Compliment him:
Offering a genuine compliment can leave a positive impression and make him feel appreciated. Instead of generic compliments, focus on specific qualities or actions that you genuinely admire. For example, you could say, “I really appreciate your sense of humor. You always know how to make people laugh in our group conversations, and it brightens the atmosphere.” By acknowledging his specific qualities and the positive impact he has, you demonstrate your attentiveness and sincere interest in him.
5. Initiate plans:
Taking the initiative to plan a date or outing demonstrates your interest and willingness to invest time and effort in the relationship. Instead of waiting for him to ask you out, suggest a specific activity or event that aligns with your shared interests. For example, if you both enjoy hiking, you could say, “I heard about this beautiful trail nearby. Would you like to join me for a hike this weekend?” By proposing a specific plan, you show your enthusiasm and provide a clear opportunity for him to accept and spend time together.
6. Use humor:
Humor can be an excellent way to create a connection and make the first move with a lighthearted approach. Pay attention to the conversation and find opportunities to inject humor naturally. For example, if you’re discussing a funny incident that happened recently, you can playfully add a witty comment or share a related humorous story. The key is to be genuine and let your authentic sense of humor shine through. A shared laugh can create a positive and enjoyable atmosphere that fosters a deeper connection between you.
7. Send a text:
In today’s digital era, sending a text message can be a low-pressure way to make the first move and initiate a conversation. Keep the message casual, friendly, and engaging. You can reference a previous conversation or bring up a topic of shared interest. For example, if you recently spoke about a new movie release, you can text him something like, “Hey! I just found out that the movie we were talking about is playing this weekend. Are you interested in catching it together?” By sending a text, you show your confidence and interest while allowing him to respond at his convenience.
8. Plan a group outing:
If the idea of a one-on-one encounter feels overwhelming or too forward, suggesting a group outing can provide a more comfortable setting to connect with him. Invite him and a few mutual friends to hang out together. For instance, if there’s a local event or a fun activity happening, you can propose a group outing by saying, “A few of us are planning to go to the art fair this Saturday. It would be great if you could join us!” This approach allows you to spend time together in a relaxed environment while reducing any pressure or awkwardness that may arise from a solo outing.
9. Be direct:
Sometimes, being direct and expressing your interest can cut through any uncertainty and save time. If you feel confident and comfortable, consider expressing your attraction to him openly and honestly. You can say something like, “I really enjoy spending time with you, and I’m attracted to you. I would love to explore the possibility of taking our connection to a deeper level if you’re interested.” Being direct shows your courage and authenticity, and it allows both of you to have a clear understanding of each other’s intentions.
10. Use social media:
Social media platforms offer a unique way to connect and show interest. If you’re connected on platforms like Instagram or Facebook, engage with his posts in a genuine and thoughtful manner. Like his photos, leave thoughtful comments, or share content that you think he may enjoy. For example, if he shares a photo from a recent hiking trip, you can comment, “Wow, that view is stunning! I love hiking too. We should plan a hike together sometime!” This interaction helps create a sense of connection and provides an opportunity to continue the conversation offline.
11. Show genuine interest in his hobbies:
One of the best ways to connect with someone is by showing a genuine interest in their hobbies and passions. Ask him about his interests, actively listen to his stories, and engage in conversations related to his hobbies. For instance, if he’s passionate about photography, you can ask him about his favorite subjects to capture or express curiosity about the techniques he uses. By showing sincere interest, you demonstrate that you value him as an individual and appreciate the things that make him unique.
12. Find opportunities for physical touch:
Physical touch, when used appropriately and with consent, can create a sense of intimacy and connection. Look for natural opportunities to initiate light and casual physical contact. For example, during a funny or exciting conversation, you can lightly touch his arm to emphasize a point or playfully nudge him when sharing a lighthearted moment. Always pay attention to his body language and responses to ensure that he is comfortable with the level of physical contact.
13. Be supportive of his goals and dreams:
Supporting and encouraging his goals and dreams demonstrates that you care about his personal growth and success. Ask him about his aspirations, actively listen to his plans, and provide words of encouragement and support.
For instance, if he shares his ambition to start his own business, you can ask questions to understand his vision better and offer support by saying, “That’s incredible! I believe in your talents, and I’m here to support you every step of the way.” Showing genuine support and being his cheerleader not only strengthens your connection but also creates a foundation of trust and understanding in the relationship.
What to say when you make the first move on a guy without being too needy?
When making the first move on a guy, it’s important to strike a balance between expressing interest and maintaining your independence. Here are five different examples of what you could say to make the first move without coming across as needy:
1. Confident and lighthearted approach:
“Hey, I’ve really enjoyed our conversations and getting to know you. I think it would be fun to grab a bite to eat sometime. No pressure, just thought it would be cool to spend more time together. Let me know if you’re up for it!”
2. Casual and low-pressure approach:
“I’ve been meaning to check out this new art exhibition. It would be great to have some company. Would you be interested in joining me? If not, no worries, I’m going anyway and thought I’d extend the invitation.”
3. Friendly and inclusive approach:
“I’m organizing a group outing to the park this weekend. It would be awesome if you could join us. We’ll have a picnic, play some games, and enjoy the outdoors. Let me know if you’re interested!”
4. Curiosity and shared interests approach:
“I recently came across a book that aligns perfectly with our conversations about psychology. I thought you might find it interesting too. Would you like to borrow it, or maybe we can grab a coffee and discuss it sometime?”
5. Direct and confident approach:
“I’ve really enjoyed getting to know you, and I find our connection intriguing. I’m interested in exploring the possibility of something more. If you feel the same way, I’d love to take you out for dinner. Let me know what you think!”
Remember, the key is to be confident, relaxed, and maintain a sense of independence. By expressing your interest in a casual and low-pressure manner, you avoid coming across as needy or desperate.
These examples provide a starting point, but feel free to adapt them to your unique style and the nature of your relationship with the guy. The goal is to communicate your interest while giving him the freedom to respond in his own time.
How do you start the first move on a guy?
Starting the first move on a guy requires confidence and the willingness to take the initiative.
Here are some approaches to consider:
- Smile and make eye contact: A warm smile and eye contact can catch his attention and show that you’re open to interaction.
- Strike up a conversation: Find a common topic or interest to initiate a conversation. It could be about a shared hobby, current events, or even asking for his opinion on something.
- Show genuine interest: Pay attention to his hobbies or activities and ask questions to show that you genuinely want to get to know him better.
- Compliment him: Offer a sincere compliment that highlights his positive qualities or achievements. It can be about his style, intelligence, sense of humor, or any other trait you admire.
- Initiate plans: Take the lead and suggest a specific activity or event that you both may enjoy. This shows your enthusiasm and investment in spending time together.
- Use humor: A well-timed joke or playful banter can help create a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, making it easier to initiate conversation and establish a connection.
Remember to be yourself, be respectful of his boundaries, and consider his comfort level in every interaction.
What do guys think when a girl makes the first move?
Opinions may vary, but many guys appreciate it when a girl makes the first move. It can be refreshing and attractive to see a woman who is confident, assertive, and knows what she wants. Making the first move can alleviate the pressure on guys to always take the lead, and it demonstrates that you’re actively interested in them.
It also shows that you’re willing to break traditional gender roles, creating a more egalitarian and balanced dynamic in the relationship. However, it’s important to remember that everyone is different, and some individuals may have personal preferences or cultural backgrounds that influence their reactions. Communication and respect are key in understanding each other’s perspectives.
Is it good to make the first move on a guy?
Yes, making the first move on a guy can be a positive and empowering experience. It allows you to express your interest and desires, taking control of your own romantic journey. Waiting for someone else to make the first move can prolong uncertainty and prevent potential connections from developing.
By being proactive, you demonstrate confidence, assertiveness, and a willingness to take risks. Making the first move can also lead to more equal and balanced relationships, where both partners actively contribute to the growth and development of the connection.
How do I make my crush make the first move?
While you cannot control someone else’s actions or make them do something specific, you can create an environment that encourages your crush to make the first move. Here are some tips:
- Show your interest and availability: Engage in friendly conversations, spend time together, and be approachable. Let your crush know that you’re interested in getting to know them better.
- Drop subtle hints: Use body language, playful teasing, or light flirting to indicate your attraction. This can give your crush a signal that you’re open to their advances.
- Spend time together in casual settings: Create opportunities for casual hangouts or group outings where your crush can feel comfortable and confident in expressing their feelings.
- Communicate openly: Share your own feelings and intentions, expressing that you’re open to a deeper connection. This may encourage your crush to reciprocate and make their move.
- Be patient: Remember that everyone has their own pace and comfort level when it comes to initiating romantic advances. Give your crush time and space to process their feelings and make their move when they’re ready.
How to know if a guy likes you?
Understanding if a guy likes you can be challenging, as everyone expresses their feelings differently. However, here are some common signs to look out for:
- Paying attention and engaging in conversations: He actively listens to you, asks questions, and shows genuine interest in your life.
- Initiating contact or seeking opportunities to spend time together: He reaches out to you, suggests activities, or tries to create opportunities for interaction.
- Remembering details: He remembers things you’ve shared, such as personal stories, preferences, or important events.
- Displaying positive body language: He leans in when talking to you, maintains eye contact, smiles frequently, or mirrors your gestures.
- Complimenting you: He gives sincere compliments, notices your appearance, or highlights your positive qualities.
- Showing signs of nervousness or excitement: He may fidget, blush, or exhibit nervous behavior when you’re around.
- Defending or supporting you: He stands up for you, offers help when needed, or shows concern for your well-being.
- Remembering important dates or events: He makes an effort to remember and acknowledge significant dates or events in your life.
Making the first move on a guy can be an empowering and exciting experience. By taking the initiative, you demonstrate confidence, assertiveness, and a genuine interest in getting to know someone on a deeper level. Whether it’s through a warm smile, striking up a conversation, showing genuine interest, or initiating plans, making the first move opens up the possibility for meaningful connections and can lead to fulfilling relationships.
Remember, each person and situation is unique, so it’s important to be mindful of individual comfort levels and boundaries. Don’t be discouraged if the first move doesn’t yield the desired outcome. The important thing is to take a chance, be true to yourself, and embrace the journey of discovering meaningful connections.
So go ahead, be courageous, and make that first move. You never know what wonderful experiences and connections await you when you step outside your comfort zone. Happy exploring!