Welcome to my guide on how to start a conversation on a dating app.
There are 3 ways to start a conversation on a dating app:
- You can check out her profile and then create a conversation around it.
- You can use a catchy or funny opening line.
- You can ask simple yet interesting questions to start an engaging conversation.
You will learn how to do this in detail in the following sections.
How To Start A Conversation On A Dating App
Checking out her profile picture and bio first is the best way to create a unique and highly engaging conversation with the person you like on a dating app.
You only need to identify what she is into, and then you can start chatting with her/him on that particular topic.
Below is some common topic people share on their profile, and it is an excellent topic to talk about.
Conversation Topic #1: Travel
People like to share travel photos on their profiles. Either you can take guess where they have been to, or you ask them about the places they have visited on the dating app.
Travel Conversation Examples:
- I like to travel too. I’m planning to visit Japan next month. What about you? Where have you been to?
- The photo in which you are wearing a blue dress. Where is that place?
- How do you expand the conversation about travel?
Travel topic is the easiest one. Just throw some interesting questions, and you can expand the conversation effortlessly.
Travel Conversation Expansion Examples:
- If you have a free first-class ticket to go anywhere you want, where would you go?
- Which countries are on your favorite list?
- If you can revisit a place you have been to, where would you choose and why?
- What is the funniest thing you have encountered while traveling?
- Have you experienced any culture shock when you went to [insert the place she has been to]? Tell me more about it.
- Do you like to travel alone or do you prefer to travel in a group?
- Some people like shopping while others want to see historic buildings. What is your preference in choosing a travel destination?
Conversation Topic #2: Food
Girls have a very low resistance to food. Most of the girls will reply to you when you open up a food topic on a dating app.
According to research, girls’ intelligence levels will drop by 80% when you show them beautiful pictures of food. So, showing them some delicious food before asking them out increases your success rate.
It is super easy to initiate a conversation about food. Just send a food picture over, and you will get a reply in time.
- You: [Send her a food picture]. Want some?
- Girl: Wow, it looks so yummy. Where is this place?
- You: [Send her another picture of you enjoying the food]. It’s a bar near my place. I like the vibe here. I’ll bring you along if you happen to be near my place next time.
- Girl: Where are you staying, by the way?
- You: [Your place] What about you?
Then, you can continue to expand the conversation.
How to expand the conversation on food:
- Are you the kind of person who will save the best bite of food for last?
- What is the authentic foreign food you have tried before?
- What is the weirdest good you have eaten but actually like it?
- Which is your favorite taste among sweet, salty, spicy, and sour? Why?
- What are your favorite desserts? Ice cream, pie, cake, tart, or others?
- According to research, girls’ IQ will drop by 40% when they have presented with desserts. Do you think it’s true?
If a conversation has turned cold, you can always initiate a new conversation with another food picture. It will never fail to reignite the conversation with a girl.
Conversation Topic #3: Pets
Well, girls can’t resist cute animals. So, if you have a dog or cat, you are at an advantage.
You can share silly and funny things your pets do. If you don’t have any pets, well, you can always “borrow” your friend’s pet and take a picture with it. Then, you can send it to her and initiate a conversation.
How to start a conversation on a dating app with pets:
- You: [Send her a photo of you with your dog] My hooman thinks you are cute.
- Girl: Awww. That’s adorable.
- You: You mean I’m adorable or….my dog?
- Girl: Hahaha. Both.
How to expand the conversation on pets:
- Do you have any pets? (If she does not have any pets in her profile picture)
- What is the funniest thing your pet did in the past? (If she has a pet in her profile picture)
- Personality test: Are you a dog person or a cat person? ( Dog people tend to be more outgoing and cat person tend to be more creative or philosophical)
- What would you go for if you can have any pets? (Wait for her answer and say you need a unicorn)
- [Send her a funny pet meme] This is why I like dogs/cats.
It is easy to talk about pets with girls. You just need to tell her all the funny and crazy things your pets do, and she will get a quick laugh. Plus, you get to demonstrate your value that you are a caring and responsible person for having a pet.
List of other great conversation topics for an online dating app:
- Passion/ Hobbies
- Sports/ Workout
- Personality and zodiac sign
When you start a conversation on a dating app about the above topic, you should not only keep asking questions but also need to share stories about yourself.
Connections will form only when there’s an exchange of information. Try to find similarities between you two during the conversation and expand the conversation from there.
Online Dating Conversation Starter #1: Compliment
- You + your blue dress = a new definition of perfection.
- Your eyes can smile. They are so beautiful.
- I like your skin tone. It’s healthy and sexy at the same time.
Online Dating Conversation Starter #2: Interesting Questions
- Are you more of an indoor or outdoor person?
- What would your perfect vacation look like?
- What are the things you wanted to try at least once in your lifetime?
- What are you known for among your friends?
- What is your favorite quote?
- Personality test: What is your favorite color?
Online Dating Conversation Starter #3: Ask Funny IQ Test
- What is it that if you have, you want to share me, and if you share, you do not have? (A secret)
- If a plane crashes on the border between the United States and Canada, where do they bury the survivors? (Survivors are not buried.)
- Some months have 31 days, others have 30 days, but how many have 28 days? (All the months have 28 days.)
- If you have a bowl with six apples and take away four, how many do you have? (The 4 you took away)
Online Dating Conversation Starter #4: Ask Though-provoking Question
- If you can only bring 1 item with you to a deserted island, what would it be?
- If you were a superhero, what superpower would you pick?
- What are the top 3 things you wish to accomplish before 60?
- If you can tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?
- If you can go back to the past and change a thing in life, what would you change?
Online Dating Conversation Starter #5: Tell A Short Joke
- Dad: You want to join the navy, but you can’t even swim!
- Son: But then in the Air Force, no one can fly either.
A: Looking at you reminds me of the sun. You know why?
B: Because I’m hot, beautiful like the sunset, and I’m the source of your life?
A: No. Because you are round, flat, and looking at you hurts my eyes
Best Opening Line For Online Dating App Conversation
1) ————————- < my opening line XD
2) I’m still single, in case you are wondering. You?
3) Do you prefer to chat for a bit on the app, or do you want to get a drink and get to know each other the old-fashioned way?
4) You seem interesting, like someone I would like to know. So, tell me, when was the last time you did something adventurous?
5) You look like a fun person. Do you travel a lot?
6) What are your Sunday priorities: exercise, sleep, or a movie marathon?
7) What’s the most played song on your Spotify?
8) Please confirm you’re not one of those people who claps when the plane lands.
9) There’s something wrong with my phone – it does not have your number on it.
10) I don’t know who’d be more excited about you swiping me right, my mom or me.
11) If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cute-cumber.
12) I’m from the future, and we need to be together because our child will achieve world peace.
13) Do you have an ugly boyfriend? No? Want one?
14) I swiped right for you, and you did the same for me. Does this mean we’re exclusive?
15) I can feel you staring at my profile from here.
16) This is so us—me doing all the talking. You are sitting there looking all cute.
17) I don’t mean to brag, but I happen to be very good at opening jars.
18) You’re cute, but are you friendly?
19) Are you a morning person or a night owl?
20) Two truths and a lie: ready, set, go!
21) I would totally let you take me to brunch tomorrow.
22) I’m new to this city, can you show me the way to your heart?
23) I Love Your Profile 3000.
24) I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
25) Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
26) My psychiatrist told me I was crazy, and I said I want a second opinion. He said, okay, you’re ugly too.
27) A little boy asked his father, “Daddy, how much does it cost to get married?” Father replied, “I don’t know, son, I’m still paying.”
28) So, how does this app work? Are we married now?
29) Hey, I know this is a fake profile, but could I get the number of the model you used for your pics?
30) You are so hot you eat bread and poop out toast.
31) You don’t know how many times I had to swipe left to find you!
32) You’re adorable. Fingers crossed, you’re not crazy.
4 Quick Conversation Tips On Dating Platforms
1) Don’t be boring.
Avoid starting the conversation with “hi” or “how are you?” Many people are doing the same thing, and it is hard to carry the conversation if you start it boring. If you can’t think of anything, just make use of one of the opening lines above while using the dating app.
2) Don’t write a long paragraph.
You are not writing an essay. It’s a casual conversation, so keep things light and casual always.
3) Do not keep asking questions.
Stop jumping around and keep asking irrelevant questions. This is supposed to be a conversation and not an interrogation. Don’t be the only person who keeps asking questions and expects her to do all the talking. You should share interesting stories on your side too.
4) Demonstrate your value during the conversation
If you do not know how to expand the conversation, you can share interesting, funny, or positive things that are happening in your life lately.
Sharing your thoughts and life will help her to open up to you. In return, she will tell you more about herself naturally.
The Bottom Line On How To Start A Conversation On Dating App
Starting a conversation on a dating app is just the same as how you would create a conversation with a stranger in real life.
Just be yourself, have fun chatting with people on the platform, and no need to be afraid of how they might judge you.
If they click if you, they will stay, and if they don’t, it’s better to let the door open, so you can finally meet someone who does.